No Bake Brownie Bites (nut-free)
Gayle McLeod | August 5, 2015
These fudgy, decadent brownie bites are in steady demand around here. Sweetened with dates, these little snacks contain plenty of nutrients, protein and dietary fibre, sure to keep you and your littles powered up for anything. Kid-tested and mom-approved! PS: these are also vegan, dairy-free and gluten-free (if you use gluten-free oats).
No Bake Brownie Bites
Fudgy, decadent little bites that make a perfectly wholesome snack for all ages. Made with oats instead of nuts, these nutritious treats are school safe, kid-tested and mom-approved.
- 1-½ cups pitted Medjool dates, packed tightly (if dry, soak in warm water for 10 minutes then drain)
- 4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder or raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp fine sea salt
- ½ - 1 cup large flake rolled oats (use more if your dates are very soft; can also replace with nuts)
- ¼ cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2-3 tbsp hemp hearts
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I use a dairy-free one that is sweetened with Stevia)
- ¼ cup cacao nibs (optional)
Put all ingredients (except the cacao nibs, if using) in a powerful food processor fitted with a sharp blade. Pulse a few times to chop the ingredients, then process just until a dough begins to form. Add the cacao nibs then process a few more seconds to combine. Scoop out the dough and roll into uniform balls, or roll out between layers of parchment paper and cut into squares. Place in an airtight container and store in the fridge or freezer.
DetailsPrep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 25 1.5" bites